Friday, September 9, 2011

charity:water

I can't imagine living my life with out water. Or water that I must drink but it makes me sick. And even though I might be thirsty, I have to walk 3 miles just to get some muddy water. But yet that's what it's like for so many children in countries like Ethiopia. Water is a necessity, yet in so many places that water is not clean and it makes so many people sick with diseases that are totally preventable with clean water.

Diseases from unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Children are especially vulnerable, as their bodies aren't strong enough to fight diarrhea, dysentery and other illnesses.

90% of the 30,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are of children under five years old. Many of these diseases are preventable. The UN predicts that one tenth of the global disease burden can be prevented simply by improving water supply and sanitation. (charity:water website)
So this year for my 22nd birthday (which is September 12th just in case you were wondering), all I'm asking for is donations to charity:water. I created a profile page where you can find out more about the water projects and you can have a chance to take a part in eliminating this water crisis. Here is the page where you can donate: http://mycharitywater.org/p/campaign/?campaign_id=19007 And if you're feeling like you don't have enough money to donate, just think that if you didn't buy any drinks at Starbucks for 2 weeks and just drank water instead, you would have saved about $22 (which is the suggested donation).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog