Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What I've Learned

I've realized that I haven't posted anything in a really long time. While sitting here in the lounge at PBU, I thought I should look back over this past school year at what I've learned. It's been a pretty big year as far as changes go. It was my first experience at living away from home. It was full of highs and lows. There were fun times when I wish I could stay here forever, and times when I felt completely alone and just wanted to be home. As I think about it, most of the things that I've learned are things outside of the classroom.

1. God can not be contained by any box or label that we make, even the box of Christian education. God will be God no matter what we do or what we think He may do. No amount of studying will allow us to fully understand God. Part of me is okay with that. He's in control and I'm not. God can't even be contained by church and especially not church denomination. There are things that we've been doing in church for so long that we think that's just the way it's supposed to be and that's what God wants.

2. Following Jesus isn't comfortable or easy. It pushes you to do things that you never thought you'd be able to do. It requires you to put your trust in Him rather than in yourself. Going away to school was something that I felt that I physically would not be able to handle. At times it was tough dealing with the pain and anxiety. I had to learn not to let it control my life, and let Jesus take control. It's a daily struggle and in no way can I say that I've fully overcome these difficulties.

3. I don't learn best in a classroom. Studying and reading frustrates me. However, this in no way means that I don't like learning. I'm a naturally curious person. But I need to touch things, move things, hear things, experience things on my own to fully learn. In the beginning of the school year, it really bothered me that I learn differently than the average college student. Now I think I'm okay with it. This is how God made me, and I feel that it gives me a different perspective on life, one that most people don't get to see.

4. Photography is my thing. I never would have expected to find that my passion in life has nothing to do with what I was going to school for. All through out the year, people kept asking me why I wasn't at art school. Honestly, before this year I had no idea how much I really loved art. All through out my life I was surrounded by art. I always loved it but I just never thought it was practical or how it could please God. Now I know that God loves art. He's the greatest artist in the world. He made me with this desire to create. If I was to give up this desire, I wouldn't be living the way that God created me to be. It took being away from all art education to create my own style and understand how much art is a part of me.

5. I'm not that great at making friends. That I've known my whole life, but I think I have learned some idea as to why. I think it's because I don't let people in to my life. I'm far too guarded, unless for some reason I feel like I can completely trust you. That trust does happen, just not as often as I'd like it to. I can say that I had one friend here this semester whom I felt completely comfortable with. This is something I have to work on. I need to care less about what people will think of me if they see who I really am, especially the weird and dorky side of me that not many people get to see. But I'd say that the ones who do see that side of me are the ones that like me the most, so I don't know what I'm so afraid of.

6. On a lighter note, I have a huge appreciation for good food now, not that gross PBU stuff. Being here away at school gives me this desire to want to cook. As thankful as I am that the people here cook for us, there's just something about being able to prepare your own meal that I really missed. I found myself on weekends looking up recipes and making up random foods. Not too much actually came out that well because I just don't like following recipes with all the ingredients and measurements. It more fun making it up, even if it doesn't taste as good. There's just nothing like home cooking.

I've learned a lot more than just what I've written here, but this was all that I could think of right now, and all that I felt that you'd want to read. Another post might show up sometime soon. There's something that's been running through my mind, that doesn't fit with this topic, but I have to decide if it's blog worthy. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog