Saturday, August 9, 2008

Living for Eternity

It's really hard to get a good picture of what Jesus really did for us. Everything is candy-coated, glamorized, and made to give you warm fuzzy feelings. It wasn't like that at all. Jesus sacrificed everything. He got dirty, ate with the worst of people, and went out of his way to serve people or talk to them even when he was busy. You never see him anywhere thinking about himself. He was even willing to be beaten beyond recognition and mocked, just so that we don't have to die for our sins. Because of His willingness to sacrifice His life, we can directly communicate with God. There is no need for fancy rituals or burnt offerings. 
"He died a criminal's death so that His life could be transferred to us. I don't think most of us get that. He is the Son of God, the Author of Life, the Creator of the universe. He holds all power in His hands, and yet out of love Jesus chose to take on the limitations of human form. He chose to live in poverty and work like a common man for thirty years. Then He was tortured by the very people He came to redeem and died as my substitute for every sin I've ever committed." (Vessels of Honor:21 Day Devotional by Justin Kendrick of Holyfire Ministries)

I honestly don't even know what to do with a love like that. It's so overwhelming, it practically paralyzes me. The least I could do is be more loving. I think about myself way too much and rarely put others first. That's not the way it should be. If I want to live like Jesus, I have to get out there and serve and love, not because I have to but it's thanks to God for allowing me to be able to live like this. He didn't have to give me a good life, He didn't even have to give me life at all. I'm so grateful that he did give me life so I can turn around and give it right back to Him. 

"And He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf." ~2 Corinthians 5:15

"If eternity lasts forever, and your life on this planet lasts for 85 or 90 years, does it make sense to live for what's valuable in eternity, or for what's valuable on this planet?" (Vessels of Honor: 21 Day Devotional by Justin Kendrick of Holyfire Ministries)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog