Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Start of a New Year

For my New Year's resolution this year, I decided to follow in the footsteps of Word FM's Morning Show host, Emily Ralph. Last year she decided that she was going to do at least one new thing every day for an entire year. I wasn't sure that she'd be able to complete it, but yesterday she posted a blog with a list of every new thing that she did the entire year. I was quite impressed and rather inspired. Some of the things on her list were really simple things that you'd just never think of doing, such as counting how many M&Ms you can eat in one minute, or just drinking milk straight out of the carton. Many of her new experiences consisted of trying new foods. Needless to say some of them were rather interesting and often very disgusting. She tried pretty much every animal food there is, yes that included wet cat food, to weird food combinations like peaches and tabasco sauce, or blending up an entire meal and drinking it. I'm not sure that those are things that I will be trying, but I will be doing lots of things. Some of them may seem trivial to you, but to me they may be a big deal. Lately, I've come to realize that I'm not the most exciting person in the world, and I kind of avoid new things either out of fear or embarrassment. This year I've decided, "Hey, I only live once. Just go for it." I've decided that it's time for me to step out of my comfort zone and stop making excuses for why I can't do something. I want to live a more enjoyable and complete life.

I started this new year by creating this blog. I have the typical Facebook, Myspace, and I had a Xanga for awhile, but I forgot the password. A blog is a cool way to share with everyone what I'm doing, and hey typing is a whole lot easier and takes up less space than writing in a journal. So creating the blog was nothing big or all that exciting since I already do stuff online like this, so I decided to do something that for some reason I just never did before. I subscribe to Brio magazine (it's from Focus on the Family) and have enjoyed reading it for about 4 years now. But for some reason I never seemed to finish reading an entire issue. It was either that I forgot about it until the next month's issue came and the previous one was old news, or there were sections that I just didn't feel like reading. There was one in particular that for some reason I just kept skipping over. So today I sat down and read the entire magazine from cover to cover. I must say that it was a very refreshing way to start off the new year. It is encouraging me to continue to work on my relationship with God. Several of the articles put into perspective how important that relationship really is and what I'm missing out on. I read questions that girls wrote in about medical issues, questions about music and movies, how to raise money for a mission trip (which should come in handy later), stuff about how to care for a car, debating against abortion (which i did recently), how to really "pray without ceasing", questions about dating, a story of a Christian teenage mom (that one was really interesting), an article about 4 very Godly teenage girls (this one kinda made me feel bad for just living such a mediocre life), how to be a Proverbs 31 woman , and finally a short devotional about how much God really loves us. This magazine has so much to offer and I never really realized it until I took the time to sit down and really read it. It's was a great way to start my new year off in step with God.

I think that this is going to be a really great year. I'm so excited about all the new things I'm going to try and how much I'll grow and learn from them. Now I just have to think about what I'm going to do tomorrow. Oh yea, I think I'm going to go to the music store and rent a cello. That should be interesting.

P.S. In the future I hope to make my posts a little shorter than this one. It's only so long because I had to introduce what I'm actually doing. I will definitely be working on using less words. haha Please enjoy reading it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog